If there is one ultimate goal in Posh World- it is to be a Suggested User.
At least I know it was mine.
Early on when I learned that this status existed… It was the Land of Milk and Honey. A place where sales flowed easily and Poshers vied for you attention by sharing your page for hours on end. Of course, Manish and staff probably emailed often just to make sure you were happy.
So far, since becoming a Suggested User, I am NOT a “Six Digit Seller”, my closet gets shared based on how much I share, and strangely enough- PMHQ hasn’t called me for advice.
So what’s so great about being “Suggested”? I will get to that in a few.
coffee … let’s get to the basics!
I am not sure how the “originals” were chosen (these are the users with seriously 1 million+ followers). These days, to be chosen to be an a “SU”, you will need to request a “closet review.” You can request this yourself, or a PFF can nominate you. It doesn’t matter which happens… just send a polite email to SU@poshmark.com to get the ball rolling!
Before you do- make SURE that you closet is compliant!!! You can check out my post The Posh Police for more details, but here are a few pointers:
- No mention of PayPal, indicating that you take transactions offline
- DO NOT advertise what you sold on other site (i.e. SOLD ON MERCARI as the title of a unavailable top)- just delete the darn listing!!!
- No unsupported items
- Make sure your closet has 25+ items for sale
- Have great cover shots! They don’t have to be like anyone else’s… just do the best you can.
Those are the bare minimum things you need to be doing. I’m sure there are tons of little details you can do. Some things are more obvious- like don’t have posts up that are “negative” in nature (complaints or “warnings” about fellow Poshers). You can definitely show you are a great member of the community by having great sharing stats. I can go on and on and suggest small nuances…
It will take several months (on average) for your closet to be reviewed. I do not think they send a “rejection” email if you do not qualify- only an acceptance if you are chosen. With that in mind- make sure your closet STAYS compliant! You never know when someone is going to be checking it out. You can always ask a friendly SU to help you do a quick closet audit… if time allows, most of these ladies would be more than happy to help!
Once you get that amazing email announcing your new status… what happens???
For me, nothing.
In all seriousness, things happened slowly for me at first. It took a few weeks before I was “listed” in the Suggested list. So if you are not “listed” right away- don’t fret like I did- it may take a couple of weeks to get going. Don’t know what this “list” is?
It’s the list of Poshers located in the “Find People” section of the app.
When ever you are on that list… Poshers new and old will go to this list to find amazing trustworthy closets. Again, this does NOT insure that you will get thousands of followers each time… people will still need to WANT to follow you for this to be effective.
Here are a few things I have determined from my experience… (this is in no way factual or based on any true guidelines- just my opinion):
- A rotation on this list is a 1 hour time block.
- There is more than one “list.” I believe there is a main list and then some users see other lists tailored to their sizing.
- Prior to your 1 hour time block on the main list- you may be listed on the smaller lists 1-3 hours prior. This is how I can tell I am about to be Suggested. I will get a small trickle of followers even though I am not visible on the list that I can see that hour.
- Remember when you first created your Poshmark account and your were automatically “following” 42 people? I believe one of the “smaller lists” is auto following from new accounts.
- Depending on how well your closet is being followed during those small list hours will directly determine your placement in the main list.
- The higher up you are on the main list- the more followers you will receive.
- When you are being suggested- you will only get a follower notification for roughly every 10 new followers (otherwise your feed would be INSANE). If you see a lot of new followers- check your #’s and you will see them jumping quickly (thanks @bal91 for letting me know this tip early on!).
- The hour in which you are listed will greatly affect your amount of new followers. If you are listed at 5am, you may get 200 new followers. Party time is GOLD. I have received 2500+ during this time.
I analyze EVERYTHING (can you tell???). I don’t know anyone else who does- so I cannot compare notes. Everything I mention only applies to my closet and others may see different results… the first month or so that I was listed, I was showing up approximately 3 times a week… The past 2 months, it has been 4-5 days a week.
I try to utilize the exposure as much as possible. If I am online while being listed- I will SHARE the entire hour. I will share my own closet and others. Make sure to have your best and most popular items at the top of your closet. When a posher sees you on the list and is making a quick decision on whether or not to follow you- you want your best and most enticing items at the top. When I do this- I see results. I also tend to get a couple of offers.
Here are the main benefits I see to being an SU:
- Followers (followers can boost sales- but not always!)
- Credibility- shoppers know that you have a legit closet.
- Privy emails. Yep! Suggested Users sometimes receive top-secret emails about upcoming promos or changes to the app!
Not long ago, all SUs received an email encouraging us to be positive community members, to follow the rules, and to be an example for other users. That’s really why I started this blog- because I genuinely want to help and see others succeed. With this in mind- You can lose your status by not holding up your end of the bargain. I won’t go into the details of what the email said (ok, maybe later in another post!) but SUs must keep their closets compliant!!!
If you are just starting out… some of the things I mentioned may be a bit advanced. Please feel free to ask any question below and I would love to explain further or point you in the right direction!
Did you enjoy this post? Make sure to subscribe!
If you are on a computer, sign up is to the right. If you are on a mobile device, scroll down to the bottom!