(listing featured is from the closet of BrieWinePosh)
I have dedicated the majority of this blog to the sellers and giving opinions on a variety of subjects pertaining to such. Now that I do not have any listings in my closet- I am solely BUYING!
With that said, I figured it’s about time we discuss the magic of BUYING on Poshmark!
It’s all too easy to get overwhelmed by all the choices OR unfortunately make a purchasing mistake and have an awful experience. This can happen on any online selling/shopping platform. However, from my experience, Poshmark is my absolute favorite online place to shop and I generally have loved all my purchases.
In this post I am going to tell you how to recognize a fabulous closet, how to get the best deal, and how to ensure you love your item.
How to Recognize a Fabulous Closet on Poshmark
Within the past year, I have convinced my shoe obsessed best friend about the magic of buying pre-owned. When she first started buying on Poshmark- she would send me a listing for me to “check out” and make sure it was a trustworthy closet… What did I do?
- Checked out their “About” section, noting the last log in (was it recent or weeks ago?)
- Ship time- a shorter ship time can reflect how active they are, and of course how soon you can expect to receive
- Read comments on a couple of sold listings to see how experiences were for shoppers
- Looked at “Love Notes”
Lastly, I would tell her to ask a general question about the item- even if she didn’t have a question. Suggested questions would be:
“Is there any noticeable wear?”
“If I purchased these today, when could you ship?”
While it’s always a good idea to ask questions for clarity- it is also smart to ask a question simply for a response. If they do not respond- they may not be active… (Refrain from “Available?” some of the most seasoned sellers will ignore this question based on principle)
How has she been doing?
My best friend is now out there on her own; shopping online without my supervision! She has scored some amazing pieces at incredible prices… but she has also had a few bad experiences. A “bad experience” I am defining as: items not as described and orders being canceled. Sometimes there is no way to avoid a disaster- but usually she will admit that against her better judgement- she didn’t take my advice.
How to Get a Good Deal when Buying on Poshmark
Regardless of what type of shopper you are, you are probably drawn to Poshmark because it is “guilt free” (kinda) shopping! You can get a great deal no matter your shopping style. Here are a few ways to find a great deal:
- Follow Brands- If you are Brand Loyal, this one is for you! I personally am not obsessed with any particular brand, but if you like a certain fit and style of a manufacturer- follow that brand and try this next tip…
- Search “Just In”- check it every day. Here is an example of searching using the brand “LOFT”
As you probably know, you can search in more ways than “Just In”
Of course sorting by pricing is a fantastic feature but don’t forget about “Just Shared.”
Just Shared is another smart way to shop from potentially active closets.
- Make an offer- this is my favorite. I make an offer 98% of the time.
- Key Word search: Search every way you can think of describing the item. For instance- if you are looking for a pair of leopard print pumps… search Leopard Print, Animal Print, Cheetah, and Ocelot. Remember we all see and describe things differently- you may find an amazing deal hidden in the searches!
- Shop Social Media! Sellers share to Instagram, Twitter, and Pinterest often posting sneak peaks of what they are about to list… One of my favorite closets Dollface86 posts to her Instagram and I typically see her new listings there first! Just search commonly used Poshmark tags (i.e. #shopmycloset #poshmark, etc) and start finding and following sellers.
How to Ensure you LOVE your Purchase
- Beware of vague listings. If the condition isn’t specific- make sure to ask!
- Ask for measurements (and know YOUR measurements)
- Request additional pictures if you are serious… Now you can zoom in on pictures- if something looks odd- make sure to discuss!
- PLEASE ask all questions before you make an offer or discuss a price.
- Does it state NWT (New with Tags)? That doesn’t mean it’s perfect! I have purchased NWT and there have been flaws… Just like it’s all too common to buy from a retail store only to find make up on the collar from someone trying it on.
*** Warning: I HAVE missed out on a purchase because I asked questions… One time I asked a few detailed questions because of a vague description. The seller didn’t respond (not sure why… the seller could have honestly overlooked both of my inquiries). I missed out on the item when it sold a few days later, but I just wasn’t willing to purchase without knowing the details. Looking back, I’m glad I held off. But you always run this risk- so weigh the options accordingly. Risk taking can sometimes pay off.
Sometimes things go wrong too- if you are purchasing a bundle be sure about all pieces before purchasing. If the seller misses a flaw or a size is wrong (or whatever else)- the entire bundle must be returned and not just the one item.
I always shop on Poshmark with an open mind. I am probably paying only a fraction of original retail and in most cases I am shopping pre-owned (not New with Tags or boutique) so conditions may vary. When I find fab sellers, ask questions, and search for great deals I am rarely disappointed!
When you find these awesome deals be sure to promote on Instagram or other social media with #PoshHoliday or #PoshFind.
Promoting your finds will encourage others to shop!!
What about you? How do you shop on Poshmark?
Do you enjoy reading posts from the Gray Asparagus? Let me know by subscribing!
If you are on a computer, sign up is to the right.
If you are on a mobile device, scroll down to the bottom!