One of the most basic of all functions and often the most misunderstood are Likes on Poshmark.
New sellers may be baffled: Are they about to purchase? Should I thank them? Should I wait around to see if they have questions?
Before you can decide what to do when you receive a like on your listing, first we have to discuss the basic functionality and then possible reasons someone may be liking an item.
Functionality of Liking a Listing:
- When you like a listing it saves it in your likes.
- If a listing you have liked is marked down by 10% you will receive an alert.
- You can sort your likes.
- Within the dressing room, all of your likes in a particular closet are accessible so you can bundle if you choose.
I am often asked about likes and whether or not to thank the potential buyer or tell them all about their closet’s promotions to close the sale. However, there are a million reasons someone may like a listing. Since this is all based on my experience, here are a few reasons that I might like something.
Feel free to add additional reasons in the comments!
Reasons I may like a listings:
- I honestly just like the picture.
- I am bookmarking it to compare prices as I shop.
- I might be selling the exact same thing and am watching to see what similar items sell for.
- I am genuinely interested, but am just thinking. Perhaps I will purchase later.
- No reason other than a compliment, much like on Instagram.
- Saving it if I am hosting a party- possible host pick.
- Some people use their saved likes as a share list and constantly share their likes.
- Inspiration. Maybe your cover shot inspired me for an outfit.
As you can see that at least for me, only a fraction of the time I like something am I actually even have purchasing on my mind.
Even still, there are some sellers who get highly annoyed by likes. I’m not quite sure why… I personally want all the likes I can get- regardless of why!
Why You Want Likes:
- Shows popularity. It creates the perception that it’s a sought after item and can cause urgency in a buyer. “There are 58 others who have liked this! I must purchase while I can!”
- It has been thought that the more likes you get the more visibility you get within the Poshmark App. I can neither confirm or deny this but if it’s true, give me all the likes. This is also why a lot of users will “like” their own listings.
- When you price drop you want to have as many people as possible alerted of the drop. Regardless if they really are interested- they may share it. Plus, if the customer receives the alert via email, it will tell them how many others were alerted.
Don’t worry about those users who like everything in your closet (spam likes) – they may be helping you out!
Back to the big debate: Should you comment/acknowledge when you receive a like? Personally I do not. But there are tons of people who reach out each time. I can only assume that sometimes it must work and cause a sale or people wouldn’t do it. I don’t see a huge value in it and don’t want to waste time on something that doesn’t give a high ROI.
Again, there are so many reasons that make Poshmark users click on that little like button, that I cannot say enough: Likes do not mean guaranteed sales. But they never hurt and it’s always nice to know that someone saw your listing and took the time to acknowledge it.
What are your thoughts about Likes?