I distinctly remember my first Poshmark sale. Now, I don’t remember getting the “Congrats!” alert or even how much it sold for off the top of my head… what I do remember is the anxiety of shipping. What do I do?!?!
Seems silly now, but from comments and questions I get (even from my friends making their first sale) I know I am not alone in the immediate panic.
But take a deep breath… it’s super easy! Right?
- Print the label Poshmark emailed you
- Put item in box or mailer
- Attach label to outside
- Take to post office
What could possibly go wrong???
Not a whole lot, but beyond the basics of how it works, there are many extras you can do and it can be confusing what is required.
So here are the Required, the Extras, and the Gray Area.
Poshmark Basics: Shipping
Of course these are based on my opinion, you may feel differently and would love to hear about it in the comments below!
1. Shipping within 7 days. If you don’t mail the package within 7 days, the customer has the ability to cancel the purchase.
2. Appropriate boxes. The list of what is appropriate has expanded. As of March 2018, you can use PRIORITY, FLAT RATE, and REGIONAL RATE boxes. All are free from the post office or from their website. Additionally you can use your own shipping boxes or poly mailers. The only catch is to keep it under 5lbs or you will need to contact Posh (and pay) for an upgraded label. Here is the official Poshmark Blog with details.
3. Protect the item. While it’s not stated in the instructions, it should be. If you are shipping something that could possibly get damaged or crushed (sunglasses, a hat, handbag, etc) make sure to protect it from being trashed while shipping. I just assume that someone is going to be throwing the item and/or crushing it with a larger 75lb box and pack it accordingly.
1. Elaborate Packaging. If you want to “wow” your customer and make a lasting impression- your packaging is a great way to do it! However, getting super cute, creative, and elaborate is extra. Now, a good deal of the Poshmark community will consider this a requirement- I don’t. Nice, neat, and protected to me are the no-brainers. Let your packaging be a reflection of your style and personality! I chose simple… but that’s just me.
2. Free Gifts. You may have received or heard about sellers giving away free gifts with purchase. This is TOTALLY up to you.
1. Thank You Notes. Yes, it’s required and no, it’s not. That’s why this is filed under Gray Area.
Ok, hear me out, yes, it is in the step by step instructions on your printed label:
Poshmark says to do it- so that can be considered a requirement. But how you choose to thank your customer to is entirely up to you! That’s the Gray Area! Some people jot a thank you on the package wrapping or on the outside of the box. Some go green and thank the buyer by tagging them in the listing. Most will write a heartfelt thank you note on a cute card or stationery… and then there are the pre-printed notes or business cards.
Do what feels right, but it’s always polite to say THANK YOU.
2. Shipping fast. I have this in gray area because within 7 days is REQUIRED. But I don’t feel like faster shipping is going above and beyond either. Most expect it- and it will only help your ratings. What you consider to be fast is up to you and sometimes determined by your personal schedule. The way I look at it, we live in a “prime” world where 2-day shipping means two days after purchase. I try for same day or next day shipping- but that’s just me and works with my schedule.
Regardless of what you decide, you won’t be wrong. If you are doing this for fun- then DO WHAT YOU ENJOY DOING!
If this is a business for you, do what makes sense for your business and your bottom line. You are representing your brand and as a business owner you get to set your own rules.