As most of you know I finally took a huge step toward getting control over my overwhelming Poshmark situation. If you missed my post Poshmark Listing Day I spent the entire day photographing, describing, and listing items in my Poshmark Closet… all with the help of my assistant (my mom!). It was a fun yet exhausting day and it really made me think about what goes into being a Poshmark Full Time Seller.
Here is a quick recap of how my day went:
Recap of Poshmark Day
7am: Transported all of my items to list and necessary supplies to my mom’s house and set things up.
9am: Finally got started. It took awhile to get the right lighting and still had to move to different areas/walls throughout the day. I did the photos while my mom measured and described.
12pm: Took a quick lunch break.
12:30-4pm: Continued taking photos and describing.
4pm: Called it a day.
So, what did we get accomplished?
I photographed somewhere around 65 items, while my mom measured and described approximately 70 items. I got a few actually listed in my closet but I took some time later in the evening and the next morning to finish. I still have a couple of items listed but not priced in my closet but I would say that 70 is a pretty close number of how many listings we were able to tackle!
I made several observations during the day…
Things I learned:
- If you have an assistant, you have to allow time for training. Poshmark is second nature to most of us but you have to take the time to show your amazing helper how you measure, what key words to use, what to include in descriptions, etc. But guess what? My mom is a PRO now!
- Dedicating an entire day to Poshmark is exhausting! No, it’s not the first time I have Poshed all day. I have had many similar days, but might have been the first time I stayed on task 100% (ok, fine 98%) for 8+ hours.
- Having someone Poshing with you is a lot of fun! You also have someone to ask those important questions: “Should I keep this?” “Does this look black or navy blue?” ” I should sell this, right?”
- I confirmed that Poshing is HARD. Ok, the Poshmark app makes things pretty easy but the actual work is WORK. Getting the photos right, describing, leaning over all day measuring, etc. It can be tiring!
In my mom’s words:
“Poshing is HARD!”
Here I am in the middle of the day staring at the ceiling wanting to take a nap.
This is why I need supervision.
This brings me to the topic I really want to discuss.
Being a Poshmark Full Time Seller
Like most of us, I often look at those who are obvious Poshmark Full Time sellers with envy.
“I wish I could do what they do…“
“That looks like so much fun“
“Look at that STACK of boxes going to the Post Office!”
“I wish I could share my closet poolside all summer“
I seriously have a newfound respect for those that do just that!
Before you can decide if you REALLY want to be a Poshmark Full Time Seller there are a few things you might want to consider.
Of course everyone’s situation is different- but these are just a few points I came up with that I really would need to ask myself first…
Things to determine if you are thinking of becoming a Poshmark Full Time Seller
- Do the math. How much do you need to sell to make this worthwhile? I once calculated how much time I spent over the year versus how much I actually made. It was very eye-opening. Don’t forget to factor in the cost of merchandise, supplies, and other necessary start-up costs.
- Make a business plan. If you know what you need to make- how are you going to get there? How much will start-up costs be? What are you going to sell? This may require talking to an accountant to see what steps you need to take with possibly acquiring a business license. (I strongly suggest you talk to a professional and not just rely on what others are doing). But by really making a plan, you can see what you REALLY need to do to make your dream come true.
- Know what you are getting into. Give the job a test drive! Consider taking a week off from your job, current responsibilities, whatever your daily situation is… and Posh like it’s your job for an entire week. See how you enjoy it. Some people will thrive on the experience… but it’s not for everyone!
- Your job is never done. After I spent a full day listing, I still had to pack and ship 3 orders, answer questions, and share. Basically you never leave the office. The office follows you EVERYWHERE. But you probably already know this- the same goes for any full or part-time Poshmark Seller.
I also experienced the fun side of spending your days Poshing…
The Benefits of being a Poshmark Full Time Seller
- I worked on my own schedule and at my own pace.
- I had a huge sense of accomplishment from what I had done that day.
- While a lot of the work can get monotonous, I still found it interesting.
- It can be a great creative outlet if you have a need for that!
Of course there are many, many, many more benefits- but this is just what crossed my mind that day.
Now the point is not to discourage anyone from being a Poshmark Full Time Seller…
I just want to ENCOURAGE you to have a plan in place and do your research so that you can be successful if you decide to take the plunge!
What about you? Are you a full-time seller? Are you ready to take that leap?
I would love to hear your seller status and advice in the comments below!
Do you enjoy reading posts from the Gray Asparagus? Let me know by subscribing! If you are on a computer, sign up is to the right. If you are on a mobile device, scroll down to the bottom!