I just celebrated my first anniversary with Poshmark (Yay me!). So I have experienced a complete year of many ups and downs. As with any retail business you will see shopping trends. There will seem to be days where everyone decided to jump on the internet and shop and then there will be weeks where you can hear an echo in your closet!
What causes this roller coaster that drives us mad? Think about how you shop- you probably purchase the majority of your clothes when the season changes. Usually that would be April and August. Some of us binge shop right before vacation. November and December can be slower for clothing because most are focusing on buying toys for the kids or saving up for a large purchase for the significant other. Regardless of the reasons, there are a few ways you can take advantage of this lull.
- Take this time to update your cover shots. Focus your efforts on your in-season items. We are in May- so update the pics for your sunglasses, flip-flops, and tanks! Grab your best friend and head outdoors and have a mini photo session. Or, pick up a selfie stick and go nuts! (side note: I just scored a self stick at my local hardware store for $14!)
- Join a share group. Ever heard of a share group? These are amazing! Basically it’s a group of passionate Poshers who “gather” at a certain time and share each others listings. So, let’s say there are 10 in the group each sharing 10 listings… that is potentially 100 shares from your closet going out to tons of followers! It virtually floods the news feed with your listings and people have to take notice of your closet. If you want to find a share group- do a keyword search for “share group” and check out the listing to determine who the leader is. The group leader should have a master group listing with their particular rules and regulations. Make sure you find one that works for you and ask to join. This is a great way to make friends and get lots of exposure for your closet!
- Focus on social media. Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter, Facebook… which ever is your thing. Ever wonder why when you hit “share” you are given option to share to these platforms? It’s because it’s a GOOD IDEA. I have made sales (and PFFs) by promoting my closet on these sites. Don’t want to annoy your friends with your closet? Me neither. I have accounts specifically for my Posh Closet. I know that on my personal social media accounts I get REALLY annoyed with “friends” advertising their MLM (multi level marketing SCHEME) ventures like “wraps” and the annoying “Plexus.” Moving on…
- Mark Downs!!! It’s the oldest trick in the retail book. Just like the after- Christmas sale, markdowns are a way to drive traffic when people are not purchasing. Be careful not to get carried away and mark listings down lower that you are comfortable with. Make a plan and stick with it. I suggest a few mark downs an hour during higher traffic hours (i.e. party times). If you mark it down by at least 10% and the price is still above $10 then every one who “liked” it will receive an alert of the price change and it will include a discounted shipping rate (If price is under $10 it will send out a price drop alert only with no shipping discount).
- Take a break. Yep, step away from the computer! It’s important not to get burned out. Take some time to work on that project you have been meaning to start, spend time with friends you have been avoiding who don’t Posh (hahaha!), or start reading a new book (I just finished Girl on the Train and it was pretty good). It’s healthy to take a break once in a while so you can return refreshed!
What do you do when sales in your closet are slow?