One of the most coveted statuses to achieve on Poshmark is becoming a Suggested User, or what most refer to as being an SU.
Here is a quick recap for those who are new users to the app:
Basics of the Suggested User Program
- Suggested User status is given to sellers who are outstanding Poshers in the community. These users (theoretically) follow the guidelines in what they sell in their closet and how they conduct their business. That is the program in a very small concise nutshell but you can read my full commentary on the subject in this article The Real Deal: Becoming and Being a Suggested User.
The benefits are huge. If you don’t already know, having people follow your closet is key to making sales. Yes, you can have tons of sales with just a few followers, but the more you have obviously gives you more exposure.
Here are a few benefits if you are wondering if it’s worth it:
Benefits of the Suggested User Program
- There are Users highlighted every hour in the “Find People” section of the app. If a buyer is looking for closets to follow and shop then this is where they immediately turn. Also, when you sign up with the app- you automatically follow 42 of these users.
- If you are an SU you can post the status in your closet (by way of an announcement listing) and it sets an expectation; it’s a promise of exceptional service to your customers. Anyone who knows what the program is about assumes that they can trust you and your business practices. Typically this should prove true.
- Meet and Greet. Every Wednesday Posh sends you a small list of new Poshers that you are encouraged to greet and welcome to the neighborhood.
- There is a small amount of additional communication from PMHQ (Poshmark Headquarters). It hasn’t been consistent but they send out a monthly email newsletter called the SU Scoop. Sometimes it has really great info, sneak peaks to upcoming events, contests, and they will highlight amazing closets.
Here’s the Scoop…
Mentioning the SU Scoop brings me to the topic I want really want to discuss… this month’s email mentioned that there will be an update to the Suggested User program and details will be announced at this year’s PoshFest!!!
(If you want to learn more about PoshFest, you can read the details HERE)
While they do not hint at what these changes will be, nor have I heard any gossip or rumors, I want to state my opinion of what they could/should be… you know, just for the fun of it.
The Gray Asparagus Suggested Updates to the Suggested User Program
- Verified closets. Much like Twitter or IG, I propose a badge be displayed at the top of SU closets, and not a self-made listing that we do ourselves. Look back at the image of my closet- I added a verified check mark! Let’s make it official!
- Ability to lose status. I assume that you can lose your status now, but no one announces it. If you are not holding up your end of the bargain then your badge gets removed. Right now it’s on the honor system that you are telling the truth about being an SU. Now that we have the rules a more ironed out with the addition of Mens/Kids (i.e. Read about that HERE), we can start being strict about used makeup and curling irons. Break the rules and you lose your status.
- Personalized closet suggestions according to your size and shopping preferences. Much like “Meet and Greet” it would be great if they suggested closets to each user that they might actually shop from; ones that carry your size and your favorite brands. Yes, followers are fantastic, but followers that might ACTUALLY PURCHASE would be priceless. Tailoring the users suggested to you would be beneficial to both buyer and seller.
- Tiered Status. Everyone LOVES status! Most businesses who have loyalty programs have caught on that their customers want STATUS. For the Poshmark overachiever (aren’t we all??) it would give us something to work toward and to strive for… It can be based on Sales #’s, customer ratings, sharing activity and so on. The benefits could be slightly different on each level; the higher the status level the more times you get “suggested.”
These last 2 suggestions I’m putting in a different section because they are quite lofty wishes…
Suggestions that are pipe dreams
- In-app communication for quicker problem resolution. Yes, it could be a dedicated SU email address, but that could be misused. An email address could be shared with others. An in-app communication system would keep it secure and there would be a dedicated team to respond to these inquiries.
- Lower fees. I’m not talking huge amounts, but perhaps instead of 20% commission, it could be 18% or so. I’m not asking for 5-10% because 20% is EXTREMELY FAIR. (If you know about running a website or a store on your own then you know the affiliated costs… 20% is fair)
Now we will have to wait and see what really happens and what changes are made…
Remember, the aforementioned are just fun guesses and suggestions… in no way is it factual or based on anything except my own personal thought… so if it’s completely wrong, well, it probably is!!!
What do you think they will do to update the program??? Have fun and tell us your guesses below!!!