I am relieved to learn that I am not the only one who feels overwhelmed by their personal closet!
With that said, I have decided to document downsizing my wardrobe. I’m not going to promise that I will be able to guide you through your journey BUT, hopefully inspire you to get started!
I don’t really want to post a picture of my closet. However, it’s probably necessary.
This is how I started out Week One…
I know, I know, there are some obvious flaws! My hangers do not match! Half are the velvet covered – no-slip hangers. BUT, I still have to use some kid size hangers because it won’t cause those horrific shoulder marks from a too-wide hanger. Eventually after I clean out I will be using 95% black velvet ones.
Amidst all the clutter, I have it somewhat organized in the following way:
- Dresses- that I rarely wear
- Pool coverups
- Cardigans- my one true love
- Long sleeve tops
- Tank tops
- Coats- no, I do not have room to remove and store off-season clothing
- Skirts/shorts/pants – very small section
- Tee shirts… and other favorites that I actually wear
Other categories not hanging:
- Small bins of workout clothes
- Shelf of denim
- Drawer of pajamas- I want to get rid of ALL of them and start over!
- Lingerie chest (holds underwear/socks/bathing suits/etc) this one is good to go, I keep it very streamlined.
Week One Recap
- Initial review of hanging clothing to determine what I immediately know I don’t need.
This is how I determined what to pull in my quick closet evaluation…
- What I knew absolutely does not fit
- If I know I don’t feel good wearing it
- Bad purchasing decisions that I will never wear
- List on Poshmark
I know it doesn’t sound like I got a lot done, but I am purposely taking my time. Plus, I actually got the items listed! I removed approximately 20 items. Here are some examples listed in my Poshmark closet:
I have a stack of pants and denim that I have yet to list but I will get around to it eventually.
There is no “after” picture of my closet because it still looks the same. Oh well!
Now for Week Two, my plan is to pull everything out of my closet by category and REALLY go through it.
I will update you next week!
How do you categorize your closet?
Would love to hear some different ideas and why they work for you!
Do you enjoy reading posts from the Gray Asparagus? Let me know by subscribing! If you are on a computer- sign up is to the right. If you are on a mobile device- scroll down to the bottom!