There is an overwhelming obsession in magazines and blogs to find out “What’s in her bag!” Typically it is a celebrity or other woman-of-the-moment.
I can remember being in high school and reading Seventeen Magazine (or was it YM?) and there was a supermodel who was sharing the contents of her bag. Unfortunately I have no clue who it was. What stuck out to me was how vastly different her bag was from my own. She had chapstick (check!) , a wallet with important cards (check!), a disc-man and favorite CDs (hmmmm), and a white t-shirt (WHAT??). She went on to describe that of course she needed that white t-shirt because you never knew when you needed a white t-shirt. The shirt she had was probably worth more than my whole purse and contents. I wanted to be that cool but couldn’t bring myself to actually stick a white t-shirt in my bag. sigh.
I didn’t need a white t-shirt.
Now years later, I am an adult and that “bag contents” phenomenon is EVERYWHERE (Too bad YM isn’t- that was a great magazine).
I feel compelled to expose the contents of my bag.
Here it is…. What is in MY bag:
- 13 lips glosses. I start out with one but as the days go by, I throw in more.
- 7 + pens. Same reason aforementioned.
- My wallet.
- Receipts. Approximately 27 of them.
- Loose change. I am too lazy to actually put it in my wallet.
- Gum wrappers.
- 1 lip liner. (There it is! I was effing looking for that!)
- A Starbucks napkin.
- 3 coupons I forgot to use that are now expired.
- My filofax. Yes, I use a planner. One with paper pages. I like pages, and pens, and highlighters.
I know that this list is not as compelling as what you would find featured in a glossy magazine. I also am sure that this does not inspire you to go shopping for ANY of my contents (I do, however, recommend the Sharpie Pen and the Urban Decay lipstick).
But its real. I would dare say that most of you have similar contents.
I have posted this photo on my Instagram @thegrayasparaus with the hashtag #whatsREALLYinMyBag
Let’s have fun and see what YOU really have in your bag!